GDPR - 8 Rights under GDPR
What rights will individuals have under GDPR? There are 8 fundamental rights, they will effect how event marketers can collect, store and use data, they are:
- The right to be informed – all organisations must be completely transparent in how they are using personal data (personal data may include data such as a work email and work mobile if they are specific to an individual).
- The right of access - individuals will have the right to know exactly what information is held about them and how it is processed.
- The right of rectification - individuals will be entitled to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to erasure - also known as 'the right to be forgotten', this refers to an individual's right to having their personal data deleted or removed without the need for a specific reason as to why they wish to discontinue.
- The right to restrict processing - an individual's right to block or suppress processing of their personal data.
- The right to data portability - this allows individuals to retain and reuse their personal data for their own purpose.
- The right to object - in certain circumstances, individuals are entitled to object to their personal data being used. This includes, if a company uses personal data for the purpose of direct marketing, scientific and historical research, or for the performance of a task in the public interest.
- Rights of automated decision making and profiling - the GDPR has put in place safeguards to protect individuals against the risk that a potentially damaging decision is made without human intervention. For example, individuals can choose not to be the subject of a decision where the consequence has a legal bearing on them, or is based on automated processing.
Understanding how to plan and execute lead generation campaigns in a manner that respects these rights will be a major factor in achieving compliance with GDPR. Some of them will be applicable to your operation, some will not. If you would like to know how we can steer you through GDPR to a compliant lead generation strategy then contact us for a free initial 15 minute audit of your digital marketing campaigns.